Gems & Jewellery constitute 15% of India's export, of which a significant contribution comes from Rajasthan. The exports of Gems and Jewellery sector was INR2,686 Crores and accounted about 11% of the total exports from Rajasthan in 2010-11. The exports witnessed a CAGR of 10% during 2005-06 to 2010-11.
Advantages / Strengths:
The State has overwhelming presence of Gems and jewellery industry with following competitive advantages:
- Biggest production centre of colored precious & semi-precious stones
- Largest manufacturer of cut & polished diamonds and the gem processing industry with least price realization.
- Housed with Indian Institute of Gems and Jewellery , Sitapurara, Jaipur
- Availability of skilled personnel
Jaipur: Hub for jewellery making
Jaipur is one of the most successful & vibrant Gem & Jewellery Clusters in the country. It is over 300 years old.
- World's largest center for Gemstone cutting and polishing.
- Accounts for about 90% of the emerald cutting globally
- Nearly 95% of small diamonds processing
- Jaipur contributes more than 80% of total gems and jewellery exports from India
- 100 active exporters and 1500 sub-contractors in Jaipur
- The industry provides employment to almost two lakh persons directly and indirectly.
- Key source for precious and semi precious stones:
- Ruby, Emerald, Garnets, Agate, Amethyst, Topaz, Lapis lazuli, Carnelian, etc.
- Other major items
- Lac bangles, Kundan and Minakari, enameled gold jewellery, uncut diamonds and emerald-cutting
- 'Thewa' from Chitthorgarh - Popular for its glass gold work
Over the past decade, the industry has witnessed a complete transformation. With heavy investment in technology, gemstone cutters have forward integrated and have started Jewellery manufacturing.
Key Segments/ Products
- Manufacturing units of jewellery
- Jewellery ancillaries.
- Stone cutting/ polishing
- Dwarka Gems Ltd., Jaipur
- Kalajee Jwellery, Jaipur
- Amprapali, Jaipur
- Mangi Chand Bhandari Jewellers, Jodhpur
- Dhannu Jewellers, Ajmer
- N D Diamonds, Bhilwara
- Suranas, Japur
Policy/ Incentives/ Govt. Initiatives
- Rajasthan Investment Promotion Scheme (RIPS) 2010 | See Scheme
- Rajasthan Industrial and Investment Promotion Policy 2010| See Scheme
RIICO has developed 2 special zone for Gems & Jewellery at the Export Promotion Industrial Park (EPIP) at Sitapura, Jaipur.
- Jaipur has been a world-renowned centre for sourcing of fine-cut precious and semi-precious gemstones.
- With heavy investment in technology, gemstone cutters have forward integrated and have started Jewellery manufacturing.
- Jaipur and Jodhpur have emerged as the leading centres for the export of gems and jewellery.
- Jaipur is a major centre for gold Jewellery export.
For more info, visit the links below: